About the Tom Karlin Foundation
Tom Karlin took his own life on November 5, 2011. The action took his friends and family completely by surprise, and compelled them to address teen depression and suicide prevention. To that end, the Karlins established the Tom Karlin Foundation. Founded in 2012, by Joe and Amy Karlin, the Tom Karlin Foundation is a 501C3 charitable organization. The foundation seeks to partner with schools and other community organizations to increase awareness of issues affecting teen’s lives and support suicide prevention efforts by:
- hosting community events like Tom’s Turkey Trot in November
- sharing Tom’s story and practical resources with students in middle school and high school, and with other community groups
- collaborating to resource suicide prevention education and programming
- raising funds to support the work
- supporting teens to create a positive school environment and graduate together
- increasing awareness of root causes of depression and suicide such as childhood trauma, bullying, and LGBT
Note: The Tom Karlin Foundation is not a counseling service. If you or someone you love needs help, please contact The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-8255. If this is an emergency go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
The mission of the Tom Karlin Foundation (TKF) is to improve the quality of teens’ lives and reduce teen suicides through education and awareness of depression, suicide prevention and mental wellness.
We envision a world in which NO teens commit suicide, and ALL teens are aware of and practice positive mental wellness habits.
The following key principles guide our work:
- Extensive and active Teen involvement (BTW, they are our target audience)
- Move efforts “upstream” (prevention, early detection, put crisis counselors “out of work” because we discuss mental wellness all the time)
- Efforts must be consistent and constant (not just one week/month per year)
- Leverage existing resources and relationships (don’t recreate the wheel)
The “How” Behind Our Vision
TKF proposes to reach its Vision by fostering a community in which:
- Teens & adults are empowered to address mental health in self & peers
- Each teen & advocate (parent, coach, teacher, law enforcement) is educated on mental health/depression/suicide, and has access to tools & resources to help those in need
- Mental health challenges are de-stigmatized, and teens seek help readily & without trepidation
- Mental health screening occurs for all teens regularly
- Each teen has identified a “lifeline” and serves as a “lifeline” to others
The mission of the Tom Karlin Foundation (TKF) is to improve the quality of teens' lives and reduce teen suicides through education and awareness of depression, suicide prevention and mental wellness.
Please provide your email, phone number, and question/comment.